Today’s breakfast was AMAZING! I have kind of gotten bored with my normal oatmeal and decided when I was in the shower I wanted to try my oatmeal with banana in it today. Just like with the french toast, I eat my oatmeal with a banana so why not make the two into one gloriously delicious breakfast? I also no longer love my oatmeal dry so I wanted to try it a little creamier too. I read lots of different blogs and oatmeal is the star of many blogger breakfasts. Here is why:
- it keeps you sustained longer because it is full of fiber, causing your digestive system to work harder to break it down.
- it helps moderate blood sugar levels which helps prevent blood sugar highs and lows (mood swings anyone?)
- was recognized by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a food that is a medical benefit to human health because of the high levels of plant fiber it contains
Banana Bread Oatmeal (adapted from healthytippingpoint)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons vanilla almond milk
- 1 tblsp each of sliced almonds and crushed pecans
- 1 tblsp ground flaxseed
- 1 banana thinly sliced
- 1 tblsp brown sugar
Directions: Mix all ingredients, except brown sugar, and pour into a greased pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Sprinkle brown sugar and bake an additional 5 minutes. Serve hot.
Making breakfast in the morning is sometimes what motivates me to get out of bed. Since I have started eating a healthy breakfast of protein and complex carbs I have found that I am constantly thinking of recipes that would be good to try in the morning. Unfortunately I don’t have the culinary skills just add a little of this and a little of that and have it result in a tasty meal. That is why I pick one main ingredient and find all the possible flavor combinations I may like in it and go from there.
What are some of your favorite food combinations?
My tops: peanut butter/chocolate, chocolate/salt, tomato/mozzarella/basil, and lime/raspberry.
5th grade Luau tonight.