I went food shopping. It was so needed that I scrapped plans to sit out and read for a bit and went straight from school. I got all the stuff to make a marinara sauce and arancini (mmm risotto balls) for a Fourth of July cookout this weekend. I also got:
- rolled oats (I am missing oatmeal, I haven’t had it in at least a week)
- whole wheat bread (ditto for french toast!)
- some Clif bars for pre/post run snacks in two flavors I haven’t tried: Oatmeal Raisin Walnut and Chocolate Almond Fudge
- a bottle of Pinot Grigio 🙂
and that’s about it! Now I have “smart food” to eat, but must have pizza tonight. I just can’t resist.
As I said before today was Back and Chest Day at the gym. Everything seemed much heavier this week. Last week I did this it was the first time- and the first cycle of any exercises is always the best. As much as I try I never get the soreness as I did the first week. Usually, though, the movements get easier because of muscle memory and I can do more weight. Today I did less!
Again it is drop sets, which I love and hate. LOVE because they stimulate muscle growth in a way I haven’t tried before (woooo for toning up!), but HATE because it takes a long time (booooo for being stuck on a machine for 20 minutes!!). But it’s all worth it in the end!
Back and Chest
- Push-Up Burnouts- 4 sets until failure (I do mine on the Smith Machine because real push-ups are hard!)
- Circle Chest Flyes on a bench– 4 sets of 10, 10lbs
- Bent-Over Row– 4 drop sets of 10, 10lbs-7.5lbs-5lbs *I do these seated using dumb bells, not the machine shown, but you get the idea, right? 😉
- Wide-Grip Row- 4 drop sets, 60lbs-50lbs-40lbs
The bar was good. I could taste a resemblance to an oatmeal cookie, but not a strong one. It was very soft, sticky, and chewy which is a good combination to fill you up. The pieces of walnut were big enough to crunch into- delish! These bars, besides being delicious, are high in protein, all natural, and 70% organic too!
What are your favorite “go to” snack bars?? I used to try to eat the Special K Bars of Quaker Oatmeal Granola bars, but found I could eat 10 of them in one sitting and still not feel satisfied. I am loving Clif Bars and Larabars- filling and tasty!
The weather was perfect this afternoon for a run, though I thought it was going to rain at one point, it was not too sunny, but sunny enough and not too cool but cool enough. I ran just about 4 miles in a little over a half hour. At first my legs felt tired and my shins stung a bit, but once I got in the groove I was cruising 🙂
My next race is Sunday, July 11 with my Running Club Walk to Runners! Can’t wait!
Now I am finishing up this post while listening to the Jack Johnson CD. Perfect 5 o’clock music, thanks again Mikey!
Next up dinner, packing for gym, and a little summer cleaning. (got to use up my post-run energy somehow!)
Enjoy the lovely evening!