Good afternoon peeps! Hopefully your Thursday is off to a great start 🙂
I was up at the crack of dawn (for me during the summer) at 5:15 to get ready for an early morning Avalon Crossfit session. Since I had a meeting from 8-12 I thought it would be best to get an early start with my workout this way I could spend the rest of my day doing whatever I wanted.
Of course, I stayed up a little too late last night and did not want to MOVE this morning. I also had a bit of a stomach ache. There were two main reasons I didn’t bail:
- John was the trainer and I love taking classes with him. I usually take him on Monday and Wednesday nights be he has since changed his schedule (and I have changed mine) I haven’t taken a class with him in forever.
- The class was full and people were on the wait list. I think it would be extremely rude of me to bail or late cancel 10 minutes before class starts. If that isn’t accountability I don’t know what is!
I then sat in my car and tried to convince myself to leave. I guess I can chalk it up to a guilty consciencous as to why I got it done this morning!
Oh, and 4 people who registered dind’t show up. So annoying.
Warm up: length of the floor
- World’s Greatest Stretch
- Balance on one leg
- 5 x 3 shoulder press*
- alternating with 4 x 5 false grip ring pull ups and weighted GHD back extensions (25lbs)
*We were to do max weight and as the bar got heavier I started (incorrectly) doing a push press. John said a shoulder press and a push press are close enough (isn’t that a nice way of saying “you’re wrong ladies”), but they work slightly different muscles. I corrected myself for the last set and maxed at 45lbs.
Then I began to feel all sorts of soreness from the beginning of the week.
Warm up #2- “To get our blood moving”
- Jumping jack craziness- regular, cross-legged, high jump
- Run in place craziness
WOD: Tabata This! 20 seconds on/10 seconds rest for 8 rounds
- Pull ups (modified using band)
- Push ups (real ones!)
- sit ups
In Tabata you are essentially doing 4 minutes of work for each of the above and resting for 1 minute between each exercise.
Your score is the lowest number of reps for each added together, so you don’t want to go out fast then drop reps each time.
- Squats: 12 per 20secs (this was consistent for 8 rounds)
- Pull-ups: varied each round (homegirl got tired), lowest rep count 4
- Push ups: 7 per 20 sec
- Sit ups: 9 per 20 seconds
Tabata this score: 32
I love Tabata because doing 20 seconds of work doesn’t seem like much (though it does catch up to ya!). I loved the squats and sit ups because I can push through the burn, but I am still not good at pull ups so that bums me out! In my perfect Tabata push ups would NOT be included!
Let me tell ya, it was a great way to start the day. I knew I wouldn’t regret the workout. I NEVER do!
If you could pick 4 exercises that would make up your perfect Tabata, what would they be? Which exercises would you avoid?