Hey there! Hope your Wednesday has been fantabulous. I have been on the go since 8:00 this morning and am currently looking forward a long afternoon nap so I will make this snappy.
This morning I woke up to head to a committee meeting for school. It was supposed to begin at 8:00 and end at 10:00 so I signed up for Tristan’s 11:00am Crossfit class. Problem was that the meeting ran a little late, which made me run a lotta late (for me) in getting home and changing and finally getting to Crossfit. I stress if I can’t get places
ridiculously and unecessarily early. I did not enjoy showing up for class with two minutes to spare (and still being the first one there), but I am sure glad I made it!
Today’s Workout of the Day (WOD) was an endurance one called “The Filthy Fifty”. It is bascially 10 different exercises that you do for 50 reps. Easy? Not so much! It is expected to take between 20 and 40 minutes so there was not strength portion to today’s class, we got right into it.
The Filthy Fifty looks like this:
- 50 box jumps
- 50 jumping pull ups
- 50 kettle bell swings (12kg)
- 50 walking lunges
- 50 knees to elbows (modified after 20 reps to roll ups on the floor)
- 50 push press (35lbs)
- 50 back extensions
- 50 wall ball shots (14kg)
- 50 burpees (yes, 50 after all the stuff above)
50 double unders150 jump rope singles
My game plan was to go slow and steady and to keep moving as much as possible. I broke the reps into groups of 10 (or 5 when I felt really tired) and allowed for a small break between these mini-rep groups. This strategy worked well most of the time with the exceptions of burpees. Burpees are a whole different beast because they use so much darn energy! I did 1 rep counts and tried to just. keep. doing. them. until I reached 50.
There are two things I really need to work on: knees to elbows and double unders.
- Knees to Elbows: These take FOREVER and it is part of the reason I get discouraged and move to a modification. THe other reason is that my palms sweat so much that I was slipping off the bar after every single rep (even after using the grip gel). Annoying. Tristan told me the key to “getting” these is to get down my kipping. GOAL: Learn how to kip.
- Double Unders: I just have no idea what to do for these. Do I jump higher? Swing the rope faster? Both? EIther way I don’t do anything fast so I fear I will never get them- and with a triple times the rep penalty these are going to hurt my times until I get them right.
I finished, with the modifications listed above, in 36:07. Not a second too soon. It was a tough workout!
After Crossfit I munched on a Clif bar while I made my way to my school to catch up with some people I needed to talk to. I am sure they appreciated that I was still in my damp workout clothes with sweat holding my hair in place. You’re welcome friends 🙂 I didn’t really get anything done in my classroom, but Im not worried. I work best under pressure.
Did I mention my first day of school is Monday? As in next Monday, August 29th? Gah!
I had two pieces and was full to the brim. Now I am in a pizza induced food coma and have images of me face planting on the couch for a few.
What’s your “arrival” style? 15 minutes early? Fashionably late? Do people being late (or early) annoy you or do you just go with the flow?